One of my favourite pick-me-up snacks is an energy bar made and sold at my neighbourhood cafe. Full of oats, flax, dried fruits and nuts, with just a hint of chocolate.
While it’s a fairly healthy option, as far as coffee shop fare goes, I know that it probably has more sugar and fat than I need with my morning coffee.
So I put my apron on and came up with my own version. Low in sugar, low in fat and gluten free! A great way to incorporate Holy Crap, my favourite breakfast cereal in a mid-day treat.
You can easily customize it by substituting your favourite dried fruits and nuts for those in my recipe. I’m thinking that dried coconut would be a yummy addition too!
Holy Crap Energy Bars
- 2 cups ground large flake oatmeal (not instant)
- 1 cup Holy Crap Cereal(you could use Skinny B if you prefer)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup honey or agave syrup (optional; I like them without)
- 3/4 cup non-fat milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional; although chocolate is never optional in my house!)
- Grind oats in food processor until fine (they should look like coarse flour)
- Stir together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whist egg whites, applesauce, vanilla, honey (if using) and milk in a medium bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry and top with dried fruit, nuts and chocolate chips.
- Stir until combined; do not over mix.
- Scrape batter into a lightly oiled or parchment-lined 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Bars will look slightly underdone when you take them out.
- Place pan on a cooling rack. Cook for 20 minutes, then cut into 24 equal size bars.
Nutritional info per square: Calories, 106; Total Fat, 4.6 g; Sat. Fat, 1.1 g; Carbs, 14 g; Fibre, 2.4 g; Sugar, 4.5 g; Protein, 3.6 g.
Holy Crap energy bars freeze well (they only need about 10 s in the microwave to defrost) and taste great crumbled atop your morning berries and yogurt!
You can purchase Holy Crap cereal online (just click on the link to the left).
Disclaimer: The makers of Holy Crap Cereal recently sent me three bags of Dragons Blend to thank me for helping them with some online research. The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own!