I’ve been stuck in the hospital since Sunday, attending to and entertaining my 9-year old daughter. She has pneumonia and requires around-the-clock care.
Since my husband recently spent a week in hospital as a patient, he wasn’t thrilled with the idea of another week of the same. Even if he wasn’t the sick one. So I stepped up to the plate while he holds down the fort at home.
We trade off for a couple of hours each day, but for the most part, my ‘reprieve’ is spent driving home, stopping to pick up groceries and the boys from school, making dinner, packing my food for the next day, showering and making the return drive back to the hospital in time for the evening, over-night and morning shift.
Not a lot of time to exercise or meal plan.
Here’s what I’ve been doing to maintain the status quo;
- Taking the stairs between paediatrics (3rd floor) and the coffee shop (basement)
- Drinking at least 75 ounces of water a day
- Packing a ‘clean eats’ cooler (overnight oats, roast veggies with chicken and brown rice, apples, berries, almonds and raw veggies) with breakfast, lunch and snacks for the following day (don’t rely on hospital cafeteria, coffee shop or take-out)
- Pushups and planks (although I don’t like to think about what might be on the hospital floor)
- Going to bed early (although I’ve technically been in bed 10 hours each night, sleep has been very interrupted with the hourly nursing check-ins)
- Taking a multivitamin with iron and Cold-FX each morning
- Washing my hands like crazy, because who knows what bugs might be lurking in the hospital corridors…
If you’re lucky enough to only be house-bound with your sick little one, you’ll also have access to on-line and DVD workouts. But this isn’t the week to post personal bests; you’ll be using lots of physical and emotional energy dealing with the illness and need to take care of yourself so that you don’t get sick too.
What do you do to keep yourself healthy when caring for a sick family member?
Please share your suggestions for easy, clean, packable lunches; I’m getting bored with my old standbys!
Please join me on the Friday Fitness Blog Hop. As there’s no WiFi in the hospital, I’m stuck surfing the web on my iPhone, but you’ve got no excuse not to sit down at the computer, perhaps while you’re little one’s napping, and check out all the other inspiring fitness bloggers on this week’s hop. Just click on the image below to get started!