A version of this post first appeared last year on the blog Wish and Whimsy. As Christmas is a mere 6 weeks away and many of us have already started (and perhaps finished?) our gift shopping, I thought I’d update it and share with my blog readers, new and old. Enjoy!
As a healthy living blogger and fitness professional, I love to give gifts with a health and wellness theme.
Things that my friends and family could benefit from, but probably wouldn’t buy for themselves. Nothing so obvious as a gym membership 😉 or a few session with a personal trainer, but fitness and nutrition gifts that will help them make healthier choices about movement and menu on a daily basis.
10 fitness and nutrition gifts to give and receive:
- tea pot with a selection of fragrant, loose leaf teas; Both green and black teas are antioxidant rich and thought to have health benefits ranging from metabolic enhancement to cancer prevention. Check out a local tea shop to find a pot that perfectly reflects the recipient’s personality and aesthetic. (I’m loving President’s Choice Chocolate Mint Black tea these days myself; hint, hint).
- exercise and nutrition planners; For the person who likes to keep track of their gym routines and food intake. Big chain bookstores carry beautifully bound exercise and nutrition journals, many of which include daily motivational quotes and tips (My Fitbook is just about full…)
- magazine subscriptions; whether your recipient is a runner, yogi or weight room junkie, there’s a magazine for them! I like to think of magazine subscriptions as the gifts that keep on giving. (Did you know that both Oxygen and Clean Eating Magazine are back in press?)
- fitness-inspired apparel; Those of us who exercise regularly know that just putting on our exercise clothes makes it more likely that we’ll head to the gym. Share your favorite brand with a friend who needs a bit of encouragement and don’t be surprised if she asks to join you on a walk or run! (Looking for a new brand or two who doesn’t care whether your thighs touch? Check out this post for ideas)
- healthy living cookbooks; Goodbye Betty Crocker, hello Clean Eating! The mouth-watering photographs in the newest healthy living cookbooks never fail to get me into the kitchen. I routinely introduce my personal training clients to my favorite clean eating cookbooks and am amazed at how quickly they are able to turn their health around by just changing the way they prepare food. (Although I do love a good Jamie Oliver recipe every now and then…)
- home workout DVD’s; Many people just don’t have the time or inclination to get to the gym. Most, however, are happy to do a bit of exercise in the comfort of their own home. From meditation, to yoga, to kick boxing to strength training, there’s enough diversity in the home workout DVD genre to motivate even the most ardent couch potato on your list. (I haven’t done a workout DVD in forever. I’d love to hear about your favourites!)
- weight training gloves; A great gift for friends and family members that visit the weight room regularly or attend group strength training classes. They not only prevent the buildup of unsightly callouses, they’re also great for protecting toes; a sweaty grip is the number one reason weights get dropped in the gym! Available in men’s and women’s sizes and in lots of bright and funky colours! (I just bought myself a new purple and black pair at Target and Superstore is carrying them in pink!)
- hand blender; Small, portable and perfect for mixing up healthy, pre- and post -workout drinks. Add a small container of protein powder (whey, hemp or all veggie!) and a few of your favorite smoothie recipes for a personal, themed gift! (I’m excited to be working with North Coast Naturals in the new year)
- foodie finds gift basket; I love to share my favorite foodie finds with friends. This is a great way to introduce your recipient to healthy foods that they might not know about or are hesitant to buy for themselves. Think quinoa, hemp hearts, chia seeds, coconut oil and steel cut oats (can you find them in the collage in this post?). Including a sample or two of treats you’ve made with the ingredients is always a selling point!
- TRX suspension training system; My absolute favorite portable, whole body, functional training tool! Much pricier than all of the above suggestions, but a worthwhile investment for that special someone! (Thanks so much, but I’ve already got one!)
And of course, don’t forget about my about-to-be-released fitness book! The Ultimate Booty Workouts is more than just a 12-week progressive-resistance training program targeting your legs, butt and core. It’s also a great introduction to strength training for women. Jam-packed with information about;
- the benefits of strength training
- why you won’t get big and bulky if you lift weights
- how to fuel your body for fat loss and muscle gain
- the truth about cellulite
- stretching and foam rolling for recovery
You can pre-order your copies today (one for you and one for each of your fitness-loving girlfriends) Barnes and Noble, Amazon.com, Amazon.ca and Chapters/Indigo.ca.
Did I help make your holiday shopping any easier?
Anything you’d like to add to my list of fitness and nutrition gifts? I’m always in need of new ideas!