Today is day 11 of my family’s post-holiday-sugar-detox. (Follow the link for tips on how to detox your family )
All in all, we’re doing fairly well. Dear daughter has almost completely given up Nutella (we’re now blending it with natural peanut butter…) on her morning pancakes. The boys are no longer asking whether it’s ‘dessert night’ before eating their vegetables. Hubby hasn’t had ice cream (at least not when I’ve been around) for a week. And I’ve only slipped up once or twice, caving in to the siren song of the last Christmas Toblerone bar…
We would all, however, occasionally like a little taste of something sweet after dinner or with afternoon tea. And I know at least 200 DietBetters that might also be interested in low sugar, low calorie ways to enjoy dessert while still losing weight!
So I asked some of my fellow health and fitness bloggers for their favourite low sugar and sugar free dessert recipes. And just because I’m trying to retrain my family’s palates to accept ‘less sweet’ alternatives, I also stipulated no agave nectar, stevia or fake sugar alternatives.
Most use fruit to sweeten their baking; unsweetened applesauce, bananas and raisins. Some include a bit of chocolate (the darker the better and you can always choose to leave it out!). And those calling for sugar use very little in comparison with standard dessert recipes.
I’ve only had time to try the first (Lindsay’s Quinoa Breakfast Bars; which I’ve been enjoying with my afternoon coffee), but they all sound delicious. Don’t you agree?
- Quinoa Breakfast Bars for Lindsay of the Lean Green Bean Blog – A great blend of quinoa (protein), oats (carbs) and peanut butter (fat) for breakfast or with afternoon coffee. I made a single batch, cut it into twelve portions and froze them. They didn’t last the week!
- Banana Chocolate Chip Blondies from Lori and Michelle of Purely Twins – These look very brownie-like, but incorporate a variety of healthy foods like chia and coconut oil. You can keep the sugar load down by using the darkest chocolate you can find! Yum!
- Chocolate Dipped Fig Kisses - I’ve never before tried figs, but this recipe, from Monica, of Moni Meals has definitely piqued my interest. Adding chocolate to fruit is a great way to get me (and my kids) to try something new!
- Poached Pears with Pomegranate Mascarpone Sauce courtesy of The Fit Fork – A decadent sounding dessert; fancy enough to share with my adult friends at our next dinner club evening! I won’t tell them it’s low sugar if you won’t! Thanks Jennifer!
- Healthy Apple Crisp from Nicole at Apples and Arteries – My family loves fruit crisps! This recipe calls for a bit of molasses and applesauce to sweeten it up. I think you could also substitute berries without compromising the integrity of the dish (gotta use up those 60 pounds of frozen berries in my freezer before summer!).
- Carrot and Oat Raising Cookies courtesy of Laura at Mommy Run Fast – This one has no added sugar at all! Sweetened with bananas and raisins and cleverly incorporating carrots (a great way to get another serving of veggies in). I’ll be making these to send in my children’s lunches soon.
Need a few more ideas? Check out the low sugar and sugar free dessert recipes that have passed my family’s taste test; cheesecake, bread pudding, scones and more!
Have any favourite low sugar or sugar free dessert recipes that you care to share?
Please do so in the comments box below!