Lifting weights is the best way to sculpt a strong, lean physique.
Want to see results more quickly? Follow these 5 tips to up the intensity of your strength workouts.
- Ditch the isolation exercises. Compound, multi-joint movements burn more calories than single-joint exercises. Trade those bicep curls for a lunge and curl combination.
- Choose supersets over straight sets. Alternating two different compound exercises not only saves time, it keeps your heart rate elevated, which in turn, burns more calories than traditional straight-set training.
- Minimize rest time. Long between-set (or between-superset) breaks result in a lower overall workout intensity than moving quickly from one exercise to another. Keep moving to keep burning calories and reveal those muscles sooner!
- Add in cardio intervals or plyometrics between strength supersets.
- Finish with a ‘finisher’. After all your reps and sets are done, throw in a single Tabata interval or my favourite leg ‘finisher’; 20 squats, 20 squat jumps, 20 alternating lunges, 20 split lunge jumps. NOW, you’re done!