This morning we woke up to a winter wonderland. The first day of snow this winter!
After a quick breakfast, the children bundled themselves up in last year’s snow gear (snow pants were a little short all round!) and headed outside for some fort building.
Given my unease at driving in the snow, my planned day of Hatha yoga, some deep discount shopping (60% off all fall styles!) at Vive and a mid-morning coffee stop at my favourite local caffeine joint got nixed for a yoga DVD,
some home-made black bean soup (see recipe below),
and getting re-acquainted with my knitting,
Of course, there will be burpees later. I have to catch up on the ones I missed yesterday; given the snowfall warning, I decided to get downtown yesterday, rather than today. Had to exchange a pair of boots that I ordered online. Ended up coming home with these babies,
What are your favourite things to do on a ‘snow day’?
Do you exercise at home when you can’t get to the gym?
Veggie and Shrimp Black Bean Soup
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 peppers (I used one red, one yellow)
- 1 large, yellow onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes (add more if you like things hot!)
- 2 cups no-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced, no-sodium tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (12 ounces) corn kernels
- 30-40 cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp (you could sub cooked turkey or chicken here or leave the protein out entirely)
- Warm 1 Tbsp EVOO in large stock pot.
- Add veggies and saute until soft.
- Stir in spices and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, tomatoes and black beans. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 min.
- Puree mixture (as smooth or as chunky as you like). Add corn kernels and protein. Heat for 5-10 minutes and serve!
- Makes 6-8 servings, depending on how big a bowl you eat!
Great way to warm up after playing in the snow with your kids!