Well, I was craving something savory to accompany my mid-afternoon coffee and found this yummy sounding recipe online; Pumpkin Chocolate Granola bars. I love pumpkin protein bars!
Given that this weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving (up north, we celebrate Thanksgiving when the fall harvest is actually coming in ) and that I happen to have a few cans of pumpkin puree in my cupboard, I thought I’d get a jump on the holiday weekend baking.
I made a few substitutions to the original recipe to satisfy my need for extra protein (hence the whey powder and egg whites) and less sugar (reduced honey and no chocolate; sorry!). I’ll give you my version of pumpkin protein bars, with nutritional info at the end. Enjoy! (I know that I did!).
Fitknitchick’s Pumpkin Protein Bars
- 3 cups large flake oats (not instant)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (no sugar added)
- 1/2 cup applesauce (no sugar added)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 4 scoops protein powder
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 by 8 inch glass pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, protein powder and spices together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk pumpkin, applesauce, honey and egg whites together until smooth. Pour over the oat mixture and mix well. Stir in almonds.
- Evenly press mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool and slice into 12 squares.
I love pumpkin! Do you have a favourite pumpkin recipe?
Any special meal plans for the holiday weekend? (American friends, you can tell me your plans for November early!)