I’m on holidays and in the spirit of holiday fun I thought I’d post one of those annoying ‘things you don’t know about me’ memes. If you don’t want to know anything more about me, you’re free to leave now. See you later!
1. I have a photographic memory. I got through university exams by closing my eyes and picturing the page in my notebook where the answer could be found. This annoys the heck out of my husband, in particular, when he asks me where something is and I tell him to close his eyes and picture it’s last location. He thinks I have an amazing brain (among other things!).
2. Items on my grocery list are arranged according to the route I always take through the store. This has caused me great angst recently, as my local Superstore is ‘re-organizing to serve me better’ and the items on my list are no longer in the right order. Last time this happened it took me 3 months to make a new ‘mental map’ and re-order the list. Did I mention that this list is a file on my computer that I print out each week and make little tick marks beside the items I need? A tad compulsive, perhaps.
3. Although my life now revolves around exercise, I was never ‘sporty’ as a kid. In fact, I always considered myself uncoordinated and a bit of a clutz.
4. Instead of athletics, I played the piano. I completed my grade 10 Royal Conservatory certification and thought about taking music in university. Common sense prevailed (I wasn’t good enough to make a living performing and I didn’t want to teach a bunch of snotty-nosed kids how to play ‘Fur Elise’). Do I still play? Rarely. Do I miss it? Nope, and I don’t miss people asking me for impromptu performances at parties either.
6. I can’t stand watermelon. Watermelon gum is fine, it’s the actual fruit I don’t like. Who doesn’t like watermelon?
7. When I was fourteen, I swallowed a rubber band while performing ‘self orthodontia’. I had a large gap between my two front teeth and didn’t get braces (because I got piano lessons… that’s another story or therapy session, if you prefer). Every night I would wrap an elastic band around my teeth in the hopes of them moving closer together. They didn’t (but I did end up funding my own orthodontics as an adult and have finally recovered from the nasty names I was called by insensitive pre-teen boys). I love my smile now!
8. My only childhood pet was a bunny named Mopsy. Mopsy lived by the side of our house in a rabbit hutch made by my father. He (the rabbit, not my dad) was not a social pet and would attempt to bite and scratch me whenever I tried to pet him. I blame any lapses in my nurturing skills on not having had a ‘real’ pet as a child.
9. I have never been to Las Vegas, Disneyland or Hawaii (okay, I had a middle of the night lay-over in Hawaii once on my way to Australia, but that doesn’t count). These places are the most common vacation spots amongst my friends and my children’s friends. They are also fairly close to my home in British Columbia. Am I missing out on anything important? I’m not convinced.
10. I am a ‘Gleek’ (okay maybe you know this, if you come to my fitness classes and pay attention…). My favorite character is Puck (probably because he’s so naughty), but I also like Brittney (S. Pearce) because she has amazing abs!
Did you learn anything new? or shocking?
Tell me something interesting that nobody knows about you!